My partner and I are DIPOs; we fit in what I call the Double Income, Pets Only demographic. Our Wander Dog is part of the family and luckily for us, she has a team of willing “grandparents” to look after her when we go on a holiday. Sometimes though, it’s nice to be able to load her into the car and take her on a trip with us.
I’ve written this post to to pass on some of the tricks I’ve learned while planning our last few dog-friendly escapes. Hopefully you’ll pick up some tips so holidaying with your pet is fuss free from start to finish.
Finding Pet Friendly Accommodation
Besides word of mouth and personal recommendations, you really can’t beat the internet for tracking down pet-friendly holiday options.
Use a search engine
- Google phrases like “pet friendly holiday rentals” or “dog friendly accommodation”.
HINT: including a specific area (e.g. Gold Coast, Great Ocean Road) in your search will help narrow down the results.
Check out accommodation websites
Holiday houses, private apartments, townhouses
- I’ve personally found that Air BnB and Stayz have the best range of pet-friendly properties in Australia. Again, if you have a destination in mind I recommend doing a specific Google search to start with e.g. pet friendly sunshine coast air bnb. You can then either browse all the options or narrow down what’s available by selecting dates, number of guests etc.
- Save your favourites to your Wish List (Air BnB) or Shortlist (Stayz).
Hotel, motels, B&Bs
- Sites like lastminute.com.au and Hotels.com let you filter for Pet-friendly and Pet Friendly properties under the Amenities or Facilities menu in search results.
Caravan / tourist parks and camping
- Pupsy is a good source if you’re looking for pet-friendly holiday parks, camping sites or cabins around Australia.
- Brands like BIG4 and Discovery Parks accept pets at selected locations (conditions apply).
- Some parks might have restrictions on when you can bring pets.
Tips + Things to Consider
- Read the accommodation description carefully and look out for…
* Size and breed restrictions (e.g. small dogs up to 10kg allowed)
* How many animals you can bring
* Whether pets are allowed inside or must be kept outside
* Facilities for pets (e.g. fully fenced backyard, dog bowls provided)
* Extra fees
* Pet rules
- If the property is highlighted as Pets Allowed but there’s no specific info about pets, get in touch with the owner / manager before booking. It’s the easiest way to find out whether your dog will be accepted and if they’re welcome inside the house.
- Hotels and apartments generally have stricter conditions if you want to bring your pets along.
- Research your destination before settling on a place so you know if there are cafes that welcome pets, beaches that are pet friendly, dog off-leash areas etc. to keep your pooch entertained. Online resources such as Dogs on Holidays and Bring Fido are good places to start.
Ready to go?
- Use this handy packing checklist for your pet.
- Make sure their flea, tick and worm treatments are up to date.
- Take a water bowl, water and waste bags for the drive.
When You Get There
- Give your pet some time to explore their new surroundings.
- Set up their bedding, toys and water bowl so they feel like they’re in a home away from home, even if you’re camping.
- Check fences and gates are secure (house/apartment) or that there’s a safe place to tie up your dog (camping/caravanning), especially if your pet has a tendency to wander.
- Keep an eye out for any plants that could harm your fur ball (credit RSPCA Qld). Also do a spot check for toads, snakes and other poisonous wildlife.
Pawsome pet-friendly accommodation, as recommended by Gabby the Wander Dog
Buddina, Sunshine Coast
Peregian Dog Friendly Beach House
Peregian Beach, Sunshine Coast
20 Roslin Street
Moffat Beach, Sunshine Coast
Lake Monduran Holiday Park (Camp Sites)
Lake Monduran, Bundaberg Region (QLD)
Golden Beach / Caloundra / Moffat Beach / Kawana, Sunshine Coast
Header image credit | Andi (sevenpixx) via Pixabay
Have you got a favourite pet-friendly holiday destination? Let me know in the Comments section below.